Sunday, January 8, 2012

~Juice Fasting~

I have decided to do a juice fasting experiment for at least the next week.  I decided this because I've had some pain in my left chest / upper abdominals for a few months.  If I knew that I wouldn't have to pay a $500.00 bill after having an MRI, which I know my primary physician would order, I'd go right to his office and let him evaluate me.  I'll tell you what, it's a good thing that I have double insurance coverage between my husband's and my employment (insert sarcastic tone here), so that I don't have to worry about it.   Josh is at a training class right now so I wouldn't be subjected to all of the foods that I love being cooked in the house during the day.  I figured it's as good a time as any to start a new habit.  Plus, I think I'd end up saving money in the long run regarding the many times I/we eat out.  It's a win / win!

I also want to do this experiment because I need to get healthy, eat healthy foods and get down to a healthy weight. The past few lab values I've had done for my annual physical or for my employment have come back abnormal.  Upon retesting they came back regular but the fact they weren't like I was used to seeing them, bothers me.  I recently joined a program through my work that allows us a price break on our insurance rates if we make it a goal to live a healthier lifestyle and actually have progression to show it.  My initial body evaluation came back saying that I am, "obese".  Now, I hate hearing those words since I don't see myself as obese... until I look at a few pictures.  Why do pictures look so different from what I see in the mirror?  Anyway, I am currently 180 lbs, my blood pressure is in question and my cholesterol is borderline.  My waist line was I think 46".

A couple months ago while surfing Netflix, I stumbled upon a documentary called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, and it opened my eyes to the fact that there really is something that I could do about my health regarding the things that I put into my mouth.  The people from this video made unbelievable life changing adjustments to their bodies and overall health that it's absolutely encouraging!  Juicing isn't eating but it's something I can do easily that shouldn't cost an arm or a leg and I can prepare it at home and take it to work.  I looked into the juicers and realized how expensive they were.  I became slightly discouraged.  That is until today.  I found that I could still juice, I just have to strain it.  Easy enough, right? 

So, I went to gather fruits and vegetables and began tonight with my first juice meal.  I found some recipes online and made something called "Fresh Garden".  It called for 3 oz. Spinach, 3 oz. of Romaine Lettuce, 3 oz. of Celery, 4 medium  Carrots, 2 medium cucumbers peeled and said it made approximately 16 oz.  Well, blending the ingredients and adding a splash of water (so the blades would do their job), I ended up with just about 8 oz.  This is also after I pressed the water out of the vegetables for about 15 minutes, trying to get more volume.  I downed the glass as fast as I could and tasted it afterwards.  It didn't taste bad at all!  The only thing... I was still hungry and didn't want to start from scratch to make up the difference so I ate a banana.  =)  I figured it is my first meal and that tomorrow I will start my journey into juicing. 

Now all that I need is an actual juicer.  Anyone have one laying around that I may use?!  =)


No comments: